1 in 4 adults suffer the effects of a dry mouth.
Lack of saliva
The importance of saliva is little understood and therefore often underestimated. When, however, a lack of saliva arises, it becomes more and more clear how important saliva is in keeping the mouth healthy and what influence it has on the quality of life.
Causes of dry mouth
There are various known causes for the onset of Dry Mouth (Xerostomia).
Medication is the most common cause. Worldwide more than 1800 commonly prescribed medicines list ‘dry mouth’ as a side effect. The most commonly prescribed families of drugs that have the capacity to induce Dry Mouth are :
Chronic diseases that can also lead to persistent complaints of Dry Mouth include :
- Sjögren’s Syndrome
- Diabetes mellitus
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Lupus erythematosus
Other common causes are :
- Radiotherapy or surgery in the head-and neck region
- Hormonal Changes and Stress
Please consult your dentist or physician if the symptoms persist.
Symptoms of dry mouth
Dry Mouth (xerostomia) can cause the following complaints:
- Problems with chewing, swallowing and talking
- Bad breath
- Cracked mouth corners
- Dry, chapped lips
- Altered taste
- Interrupted sleep due to thirst
Apart from the discomfort and inconvenience Dry Mouth will inevitably lead to a series of dental problems, such as:
- Irritated gums
- Burning feeling of the gums and on the tongue
- Dental plaque accumulation
- Enhanced risk of cavities
- Enhanced risk of dental erosion
- Enhanced risk of inflammation of the gums
- Ill fitting dentures
- Avoid dry and sticky food
- Limit the use of coffee and (light) soft drinks
- Regularly chew a piece of cucumber, carrot or sugar-free chewing gum
- Avoid alcohol and cigarettes
- Visit your dentist or dental hygienist regularly
bioXtra Daily Care Program
3 Simple steps to a more comfortable mouth. Special ingredients in bioXtra provide an immediate feeling of moisture and help regulate the microenvironment of the mouth.
Step 1 – Cleansing
At least twice daily brush with bioXtra Dry Mouth Mild Toothpaste.
Step 2 – Rinsing
Rinse with bioXtra Dry Mouth Ultra Mild Mouthrinse after brushing and, if desired, at regular intervals during the day for extra freshness and comfort.
Step 3 – Moisturising
For long-lasting lubrication and comfort, especially at night, apply bioXtra Dry Mouth Oral Gel to gums or under dentures.
For convenience and immediate moisturisation during the day spray bioXtra Dry Mouth Gel Mouthspray directly into the mouth as often as required.